Most of the users are unaware of the Com Surrogate and thinks that it is a virus which is preventing the computer from running smoothly. Well, this belief is vague because COM Surrogate is a Windows 10 inbuilt process which runs in the background. It is known as dllhost because it hosts the DLL files.
If you failed to understand the meaning, you need to know What is COM Surrogate? Here you will get the basic definition of the same that are listed below.
What is COM Surrogate?
In simple ways, you can say the developers need an interface to create the extensions for the program and such interface provided by Microsoft is termed as the COM objects. For example, the inbuilt browser of Windows 10, i.e., Windows Edge access the COM objects to create thumbnails for videos and images.
So, it has multiple uses which enable the process to run smoothly. It is quite hard to find because you can’t find a custom icon of COM Surrogates. However, if you access Task Manager, there you can get COM Surrogates, and if you click on the ‘Properties’ section, you will see the process name. i.e., dllhost and that also running in the username instead of system accounts.
The COM Objects are very useful and if any such objects crash, then your entire Operating System will crash. So, now you have understood how much it is important for the Windows 10 Operating System. Some of the users reported the issues with COM Surrogates because of that they failed to access their OS effectively. If you are also in the same list and looking for a solution, then go through the next method. It contains the issues related to COM Surrogates which will help you to resolve the issues more effectively with the solutions provided here.
What are the issues of COM Surrogates on Windows 10?
- COM Surrogate has stopped working
- COM Surrogate is accessing high CPU and device storage
- The COM Surrogate is not responding
- COM Surrogate crash
These are some of the major issues reported by the users. If you are facing the same such as COM Surrogate has stopped working windows 10, then don’t get worried. Here you will find the utmost solution of all possible issues of COM Surrogates. So, let’s begin the journey.
COM Surrogate has Stopped Working – Fix COM Surrogate Issues [Fix]
Solution 1: Roll Back the Driver
Sometimes the issues arise due to the incompatible drivers, for that the solution is easy in Windows 10. You will get lots of ways to resolve such an issue. You can follow the steps listed below.
- Open ‘Run’ box by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key together.
- Now type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the box and press ‘Enter’ button.
- Soon you will be directed to the Device Manager section which will show ample of Windows 10 features.
- Now, move to the ‘Display Adapter’ section and click on the down arrow key to get the drivers.
- After getting the list of drivers, select the video driver and right-click on it to choose ‘Properties’.
- In the ‘Properties’ page, you will get few tabs located at the top of the page, click on ‘Driver’, move to the ‘Roll Back Driver’ section and then click on it. However, if the color of the icon is gray, then you will have to download the previous version of the video card to resolve this issue.
Solution 2: Add Data Execution Prevention
Now you are well aware that COM Surrogate hosts the DLL files and adding the DEP will help you to resolve the issue. To solve this issue, you can follow the steps listed below.
- Open ‘Control Panel’ and for that, you can click on the ‘Start’ icon and then type ‘Control Panel’ in the search bar and hit ‘Enter’ button.
- In the page, you will find ‘View by’ listed at the extreme right section of the page, click on it and select ‘Large Icons’.
- Now look for the ‘System’ icon and after finding the same, click on it.
- In the ‘System’ setting page you will get the brief of your computer features. At the right end of the page, you will find a few options, click on ‘Advanced System Settings’
- After that, a new pop-up window will appear featuring ‘System Properties’ click on the ‘Advanced’ tab, move to the ‘Performance’ section, and then click on ‘Settings.’
- Soon, you will find ‘Performance Options’ with few tabs located at the top of the page. Click on ‘Data Execution Prevention’ and then choose ‘Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select’ and then click on ‘Add’ button. Here you will have to add the dllhost.exe com surrogate files and for that, go to System32 and choose dllhost.
- After adding the dllhost files, click on the ‘Apply’ button and then press the ‘Enter’ button.
The two solutions mentioned above will resolve the issue ‘COM Surrogate has stopped working’. Go through the solutions carefully and first go with the former solution and if the issue is resolved, then skip the latter on. However, if you failed to achieve the goal after following the first solution, then head towards the second one to fix the issue completely.
Also Check: How to Fix BSOD in Windows 10
For general issues of COM Surrogate such as high CPU and disk drive usage, COM Surrogate not responding or it has been crashed, you can go through the solutions listed below.
Solutions to Resolve General Issues of COM Surrogate
Close COM Surrogate
- Open Task Manager and for that, right-click on the ‘Start’ icon, and then you will find several options, click on ‘Task Manager.’
- In the ‘Task Manager’ windows, you will get several tabs, click on ‘Process’ and then scroll down the page to locate ‘COM Surrogate.’ After finding the same, click on it and further click on ‘End Task’ button.
- However, if you failed to find the COM Surrogate, then look for the dllhost.exe and for that click on ‘Details’ tab listed at the top of the page and then scroll down the page to get dllhost.exe. Now, right-click on the dllhost.exe file and then click on the ‘End Task’ listed in the drop-down menu to stop the COM Surrogate.
Antivirus is software which removes the malware, spyware, and other harmful viruses which affects the Operating System. But, the software works smoothly when it is regularly updated. If the same is not updated, then multiple issues may arise, and one of such is the ‘COM Surrogate stopped working Windows 10’. So, you must update the Antivirus to get rid of this issue. If you still face the issue, then reinstall the Antivirus and make sure to use the one which is trusted and genuine.
Remove Corrupt Files from Your Computer
Sometimes, the corrupt files can harm the COM Surrogate process the issue arises. So you must detect the corrupt file and delete the same permanently, and for your convenience, the steps listed below.
- First, you will have to enable the view feature of existing thumbnails, you will have to access the ‘File Explorer.’ To do the same, right-click on the ‘Start’ menu and click on File Explorer.’
- After that, a window will appear which will feature the recent files accessed by you, move to the ‘View’ tab located at the top of the window and click on ‘Options.’
- A pop-up window will appear which will show the folder options, click on ‘View’ tab. Then click on the box to check ‘Always show icons, never thumbnails’ and then click on ‘Apply’ and further click on ‘OK.’
- Now close the pop-window.
- It’s time to erase the temporary files, internet files, and thumbnails from your computer permanently using the tool ‘Disk Cleanup’. It is an inbuilt tool provided by the Microsoft in Windows 10 Operating System which removes the junk files from the computer.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Disk Cleanup’ in the search bar, after finding the same, click on it to launch the ‘Disk Cleanup’.
- A Disk Cleanup will appear on your screen, and by default, the selected drive will be ‘C’, keep it same and then click on ‘OK’.
- Now wait for sometimes and allow the Disk Cleanup to store the junk files.
- After the completion of the scan, you will find the list of folders, click on the ‘Temporary files’ box and make sure it is checked condition.
- Now, click on the ‘OK’ button.
Uninstall the Drivers Which are Recently Installed
Sometimes, the drivers of Windows also led to the rise of COM Surrogate issue. To resolve the same, you will have to uninstall the recently installed drivers, and for your solace, the detailed steps listed below.
- Open Device Manager and for the same, right-click on the ‘Start’ menu and click on ‘Device Manager.’
- Now look for the disk drivers and other drivers which are recently installed and after finding the same, right-click on it and select ‘uninstall driver.’
- In the same section, you will find ‘Delete the driver software for this device,’ and your job is to ensure that this option must be selected amid uninstalling the driver.
- Once the process is completed, restart your computer.
Update Windows 10
Microsoft regularly updates the Windows 10 to remove the bugs and enables the users to access the OS without any interruption. So, it is always advised to update the OS to access the full features of the Windows 10.
Also Check: What is Antimalware Service Executable and It’s Fixes
Sometimes, the lack of update also creates a COM Surrogate issue and to resolve the same; you will have to update the Windows 10. The process is very simple, and the detailed steps are mentioned below.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and then click on the ‘Gear’ icon, which is just above the ‘power’ icon. The gear icon symbolizes the ‘Settings.’
- After entering into the setting page, click on ‘Update and Security.’
- Now, click on ‘Windows Update’ and further click on ‘Check for updates.’
- After that, the windows will scan the files, and after that, it will install the necessary updates required for your computer.
- After the completion of the update process, restart your computer.
Check System File
Windows 10 has a feature to check the system file for all the programs. Even for those programs which are running in the background. This process will check the major cause behind the COM Surrogate not responding issue and will rectify the same. Now, follow the steps to resolve the issue.
- You need to perform the task in command prompt and for that open the same by clicking on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Command Prompt’. Now hover your cover in the selected section, right-click on it and select ‘Run as administrator.’
- Once the command box appears in your screen, you need to type ‘sfc/scannow’ without inverted comma and then hit ‘Enter’ button.
- After the completion of the process, restart your computer.
Create Another Account Which Has an Administrative Access
- To perform the above task, you need to right-click on the ‘Start’ menu and then click on ‘Windows PowerShell (admin).
- After that, a new window will open and here you will have to enter “net user ABC 1234/add. Here, ABC and 1234 is a username and password; you can type as per your desire.
- After completing the above task, press ‘Enter’ key.
- Now restart your computer to resolve the issue.
Hence, these were effective solutions against the issue COM Surrogate. Apply the methods carefully and one by one to eliminate the errors. However, if the issue still persists, then install the 64-bit version of the media player. This will resolve the high CPU usage issue.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.